Post written by Jade Meylor, DC
Meylor Chiropractic & Acupuncture
Greater Kansas City Accident & Injury Clinics
Academy of Chiropractic- Trauma Team Member
7922 Quivira Rd., Lenexa, KS 66215
6 Keys to Staying Healthy and Well for Life
- Nutrition: You are what you eat. Food and drink should be pure/organic and well balanced. What you put into your body is what you will get out!
- Exercise: You don’t use it, you lose it. Your body is made to be active, to move you and to be pushed at times. Ninety percent of stimulation and nutrition to the brain is generated by movement of the spine. So, get moving!
- Mood: Laughter is the best medicine. Negative thoughts can create imbalances in the body that are harmful to your health. Don’t put yourself in negative situations. These situations can release chemicals in your body that are bad for your health. Think positive, be kind to others and smile. You are in control of your mood, so be happier!
- Sleep: Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. On average, seven to nine hours defines “normal” deep sleep every night. Calm your mind, get your body into a routine and sleep in the proper positions. Sleeping on your back is the best and side sleeping is fine (if done correctly). Stomach sleeping, however, is never correct!
- Correct ergonomics: As the twig is bent, so grows the tree. Sitting properly (men, without a wallet in your back pocket), and sitting with your legs uncrossed and with proper lumbar support, helps promote better pelvic and spinal alignment. Standing in one place for long periods of time is best done with one foot slightly elevated, like on a stool, approximately six to 12 inches from the floor.
- Spinal and joint motion: To stop a SYMPTOM, correct the CAUSE! From the trauma of being born to sports injuries or auto accidents, your body goes through a lot of stressors. Repetitive stress, bad posture, incorrect ergonomics and sleeping wrong can also send your body down the wrong path. Think of a car that hits a curb with the tire. If that tire gets out of alignment, although you can still drive on it, it will wear out much faster than the tires that are aligned. That is what happens to your spine, or any joints, with injuries and stressors.
One of the best ways to improve proper biomechanics is through Chiropractic adjustments. Once degeneration/arthritis occurs in the spine it can’t be reversed. With Chiropractic, however, it can be slowed down or stopped. Aging and degenerative changes are not synonymous. Nerves control every cell, tissue and organ of your body.
If your spine is misaligned it can pinch nerves and create dysfunction of your body, as well as pain and general unhealthiness. Pain in your back or neck, numbness and tingling in your arms or legs, digestive issues or headaches are SYMPTOMS.
Chiropractic treats the CAUSE not the SYMPTOM. Chiropractic is a key part of true health!